Education: LLM/LLB Degree in Law.
Experience: 6/8 years banking experience, of which 4 years in the area of Law.
To handle complex legal matters and court proceedings related to debt. Handle loan litigation cases and criminal cases; appear to all court levels and any tribunals. Identify emerging trends associated with loan defaults that may affect the Bank. Represent the Bank before courts of law and any tribunals. Participate in research works, participate in meetings & prepare periodic reports.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and approve statements of claim, defense, other pleadings and memorandum of appeal with respect to loan recovery before courts to protect the Bank from emerging loss.
- Represent the Bank or ensure the Bank is appropriately represented in courts and any tribunals for issues related to loan litigations.
- Review court judgments and arbitrational tribunal orders and advise branches and concerned departments to comply with the decision.
- Follow up the implementation of courts and any tribunal orders.
- Follow up and advise on the defaulting loans and the termination of the legal and equitable title of properties held as collateral.
- Prepare letters to public authorities and to defaulters for the execution of foreclosure activities.
- Prepare legal notices to defaulters for the settlement of arrears on loans granted by the Bank.
- Advise and follow up criminal cases related to loan issues.
- Review reports on the status of loan litigation cases and court decisions.
- Recommend alternative way of case settlements for some disputes with defaulting clients.
- Follow up the auctioning of mortgaged/pledged property.
- Conduct research aiming at improving systems and mechanisms of efficient loan recovery.
- Ensure that the records of courts adjournments, other documents related to loan litigation and all the necessary legal documents or files are available and neatly and systematically kept in the Department both in hard and soft copy.
- Communicate results and court decisions to respective branches of the Bank.
- Interpret and prepare circulars and memos on legal issues that could affect the activities of the concerned work unit of the department.
- Analyzes the probable outcomes of cases based on legal precedents and determine the advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits;
- Prepares statement of claim, defense, pleadings, appeal, affidavit, memorandum, application, notices & legal instruments;
- Follow-up the proper institution and presentation of legal suits and/or statements of defense in all cases including judgment execution process and appeals.
- Represent the Bank before courts of law, judicial tribunals, and other similar organs in relation to non-loan litigation cases and criminal cases.
- Attend court cases, conduct litigation, and report progresses on each adjournment.
- Participates in meetings and negotiations called by the Bank or external organs;
- Represents the Bank in any government, public or private organs, courts of law, judicial tribunals, etc.
- Supervise crime cases handled by the police, prosecutor, court, or other similar crime investigation offices or government organs;
- Maintains current knowledge of alteration in legislation;
- Conducts trainings on legal subjects to other process performers of the Bank;
- Participate in research works on different legal topics to upgrade legal consciousness to aid decision making;
- Provides clarification /interpretations on legal language, laws, contracts and legal documents to Branches and Departments;
- Maintains team work at all operational levels and up keep good working relations with internal and external customers of the Bank;
- Perform and deliver results within the given service delivery time set for each work process;
- Followup cases assigned to him/her end to end until the final response/decision reaches the requester;
- Prepares progress performance reports on court attendance to Supervisors immediately after return;
- Prepares and submit periodic reports on court cases status at the end of every month to supervisors;
- Report to his/her supervisor on current status of pending cases;
- Performs other related duties as assigned by his/her supervisor
- Perform advisory & non-loan related litigation cases in courts & other tribunals as assigned by Director.
- Perform other related duties given by the supervisor.